nurinkhairi: Newborn Mothers and Sleep Deprivation

09 August 2012

Newborn Mothers and Sleep Deprivation

09 August 2012
Comments/questions I always get, be it from friends, neighbours, strangers even one makcik cleaner at our apartment typically revolve around nighttime with the baby: "tak cukup tido la malam ye" or "amacam night shift?" and comments sewaktu dengannya.

While I was pregnant, sleep deprivation is one of my most feared prospect of being a mother. Having to endure KL traffic in the wee hours of morning and going home late (since getting married I usually try to leave office by 5.30 pm tapi kadang2 ada terlepas jugak sampai 8 pm or so..), sleeping is a very important nighttime activity. I could not recall how many times I almost terlanggar bumper kereta orang almost dozing off while driving in a traffic jam. *ketuk kepala* *tampar pipi* *bukak tingkap to let fresh air in* *headbanging dkt windscreen even!*---> cara2 tahan ngantuk in the car

So it was a relief to know that nighttime is almost a breeze with little Aisyah. Sure, sometimes she does go cranky at night but so far I never had instances of sleep deprivation. I will put her to bed at 11.30-12 am; anytime beyond 12 am, she will go very cranky. And typically the next time she wakes up crying for mommy's milk would be 6.30 am. All this while while I'm still on leave, we would wake up at 9-10 am so that's 9-10 hours of sleep *eee lambat nye bangun mak nya kan*.

Basically Aisyah behaves very well at night! She does make some movements especially when she hears noises or ruffles, but she will sleep soon after, especially when being fed. So whenever other mums related to how little sleep they have, I tend to wonder why..

Is it because they are being bottle fed rather than breastfeed? I feed her in sleeping position (sleeping on my side) and more often than not, I will fall asleep while feeding her so while I woke up feeling achy all over my body, I woke up tido cukup jugak laa.  (believe me, when you were in breastfeeding sleeping position, the position of the arm extending causes my arm sengal2, adoii)

Or is it because the baby sleeps during the day? I will always try to wake Aisyah up if she sleeps more hours than usual during the day. Usually she doesn't, so that keeps me occupied at daytime.

Or maybe a baby is often cranky at night even after all his/her needs are being tended to? *yang ni kesian kat mak ayah dia*

I don't have an answer but I think the best in coping with the sleep deprivation problem is to change the baby's sleep pattern i.e. wake her up during the day, keep her occupied with something else tapi easier said than done la agaknya kot...

Well little Aisyah, keep on sleeping peacefully at night and mommy will have a good day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...